Universal Orlando Submits Proposal to Reopen the First Week of June

first_imgThe fun of the Orlando theme parks could be returning sooner than we expected.Just days after it reopened the CityWalk, Universal Orlando Resort has submitted a proposal to state officials requesting that it be allowed to reopen June 5.The announcement comes as Florida is currently in Full Phase 1 of Governor Ron DeSantis’ plan to reopen the state amid the coronavirus pandemic. Being in “Full Phase 1” allows theme parks are allowed to submit their reopening plans to state officials.Meanwhile, the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force approved Universal Orlando Resort’s reopening plan on Thursday afternoon.Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings will need to endorse the proposal before it goes to Gov. DeSantis’ desk for final approval.As of Thursday, Universal Orlando Resort’s theme parks and hotels are expected remain closed through at least May 31, according to its website.last_img read more

Learn more →

Leading players target English women’s matchplay

first_img24 Jun 2016 Leading players target English women’s matchplay Leading players will head to Holme Hall Golf Club in Lincolnshire next week for the English women’s open match play championship, from 30 June – 2 July. They include Lincolnshire’s India Clyburn (Image © Leaderboard Photography), who is a past English girls’ champion and has played in winning England teams at the women and girls’ Home Internationals. She’s joined in the field by fellow Woodhall Spa member, Billie-Jo Smith. This is the first time Holme Hall has hosted a national championship and the club is throwing itself behind the event. Manager Andrew Watson said: “We had the regional women’s county match week recently and that was a real eye-opener. “The members really enjoyed it and there’s a huge amount of enthusiasm for this championship. I’ve got a long list of volunteers willing to help with everything from ball spotting to scoreboards.”  The heathland course is where Tony Jacklin played his golf as a junior and, says Watson: “It’s the closest I have ever seen to a true inland links course. In the afternoons we get the breeze from the Trent and Humber which can make the back nine a challenge.” He added: “It’s a second shot course. If you can get your drive in position you have a good chance for a birdie.” The field includes Cornwall’s Sammie Giles who won this trophy in 2014. She played for England in last year’s winning team at the women’s Home Internationals, alongside another competitor, Sophie Lamb (Clitheroe). English girls’ champion Emily Toy (Carlyon Bay) helped England win the girls’ Home Internationals, while Mimi Rhodes (Burnham & Berrow) has represented England at U16 level. Players from further afield include Gabrielle MacDonald, who was Scottish amateur champion in 2014, and compatriot Gemma Batty who recently won the Slovenian international. All competitors play 36 holes on the first day and the top 16 players go forward to the match play stages. Click here for more details and start timeslast_img read more

Learn more →

Amateur golfers to play on golf’s greatest stage at Royal Birkdale

first_img9 May 2017 Amateur golfers to play on golf’s greatest stage at Royal Birkdale Golf club members from across England and the other Home Countries will tee it up at Royal Birkdale shortly before the world’s best golfers compete at The 146th Open in July. A group of 42 men and women will secure their places in the final of the inaugural R&A Nine Hole Championship through a qualifying process organised by the national governing bodies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. England Golf has invited clubs to put forward the winners of a nominated nine-hole event. The players with the best scores will qualify for the final. The final of the Nine Hole Championship will be held on Saturday, 15 July when qualifiers will play the challenging back nine at the famous Southport links just before official practice begins for the top players in the game. Defending champion Henrik Stenson, Masters champion Sergio Garcia, the 2014 Champion Golfer of the Year Rory McIlroy and current world number one Dustin Johnson will be among those competing. The Open is being staged at Royal Birkdale for the tenth time and will be played from 16 – 23 July. The nine hole event, which follows a successful pilot last year, is central to The R&A’s efforts to promote this form of golf as an ideal way to play the sport in less time, either recreationally or competitively for handicap purposes. Duncan Weir, Executive Director – Golf Development at The R&A said: “We want to promote nine hole golf as a perfectly valid means of enjoying the game whether socially or competitively and the 2017 event builds on the successful pilot run at Royal Troon last summer. “We know the time 18 holes can take and that this can deter golfers from playing regularly so we continue to encourage clubs to offer nine hole event opportunities. It is important, we believe, to remind golfers that nine hole play is increasing in popularity and therefore being enjoyed by more players.”last_img read more

Learn more →

Huskies win huge victory at home over JDA County Kings on Friday

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Huskies were home on Friday night as they were host to the JDA County Kings.Things didn’t start out in favour for the Huskies as the Kings would score a goal, at 7:38 into the period, making the score 1-0 over the Pups.Then with 25 seconds remaining in the frame, Cayden Frenette would score a goal, with an assist by Connor Kindrat, making the score tied at one apiece as they headed into the second period.- Advertisement -At 50 seconds into the second frame, things wouldn’t look promising for the Huskies as Geoff Dick would receive a two minute penalty for tripping.But at 2:24 into the period, Jared Loewen would score an unassisted and short-handed goal, making the score 2-1 over the Kings.Then at 4:40 into the frame, Joel Bourgeois would score a goal, with assists by Logan Kimmie and Dean Whitcomb, making it a lead of 3-1 over the Kings.Advertisement Exactly two minutes later, Joel Bourgeois would score a goal, with an assist by Geoff Dick, making the score 10-3.Then to wrap up the game, at 3:53 remaining, Dean Whitcomb would score one on the Kings, with assists by Alex Nimmo and Aiden Tegart, winning the game with a huge score of 11-3 over the Kings.Huskies Head Coach, Todd Alexander, says his team played the night with better habits, quick playing adjustments, and great puck movement; all things contributing to a great victory.Up next, the Huskies are home for another game on Saturday, October 26, as they host the Fairview Flyers. Puck drop is 8:00 p.m. at the North Peace Arena. To finish off the second period, with 9 seconds remaining, Alex Nimmo would score a powerplay goal, with assists by Dean Whitcomb and Jared Loewen, making the lead 6-2.The scoring would continue for the Huskies as at 54 seconds into the third period, Jeridyn Loewen would score a goal, with assists by Gary Loewen and Dean Whitcomb, making the score 7-2.Then at 7:45 into the period, the Kings would score a goal on the Huskies, making the score 7-3 behind the Pups.With 8:18 remaining in the period, Jared Loewen would make his second goal of the night, with an assist by Dean Whitcomb, extending the lead 8-3 over the Kings.Then with 7:57 remaining in the frame, Aiden Tegart would score an unassisted goal on the Kings, setting the score at 9-3.Advertisementcenter_img The next Huskies goal would come at 8:44 into the period on a powerplay by Jared Winkel, with assists by Jared Loewen and Gary Loewen, making the score 4-1.Then at 9:54 remaining in the frame, Aiden Tegart would receive a two minute penalty for high-sticking.The Kings would take advantage of the powerplay and score a goal, at 9:13, making the score closer at 4-2 under the Pups.Then with 1:25 remaining in the period, Geoff Dick would score a goal on the Kings with a double assist by Jared Winkel and Logan Kimmie, making the score 5-2.Advertisementlast_img read more

Learn more →

Term-limit changes sought in proposal

first_imgSACRAMENTO – In an effort to lock in the power of the state’s two top legislators for six more years, heavy-hitting political groups filed a ballot initiative Thursday that would expand term limits. Filed with the Attorney General’s Office, the measure would reduce the number of years that legislators could serve from 14 to 12. However, lawmakers could serve all 12 years in one legislative house – rather than six years in the Assembly and eight in the Senate, as the current term limits allow. “We need to reform the current system so that California has a stable Legislature that is focused on solving the state’s growing challenges rather than the next election,” said Allan Zaremberg, president of the California Chamber of Commerce. A total of 34 lawmakers facing term limits in 2008 could have their terms extended under this initiative. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The most prominent are Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, who could serve another four-year term, and Assembly Speaker Fabian Nu ez, D-Los Angeles, who could get six more years in the Assembly. Until Thursday, many believed legislators would approve their own term-limits measure as part of an overall political-reform package that includes giving an independent commission the power to draw political boundaries. Legislators will now be able to keep their distance from the term-limits reform as their proxies – the California Chamber of Commerce and the California Teachers Association – do the heavy lifting. [email protected] (916) 441-2101last_img read more

Learn more →

A’s thrash Tigers, three-game skid via their old friend, the long ball

first_imgClick here if you are unable to view this gallery on a mobile device.DETROIT — For weeks, the A’s have been searching for a way to win on the road.As it turns out, taking a cross-country flight from Seattle to Detroit during a three-game losing streak for a 1 p.m. series-opening matchup with the Tigers was just the remedy.The A’s (20-25) exploded offensively with 16 hits and five home runs and Oakland starting pitcher Chris Bassitt gave up just four hits and struck out seven in eight …last_img

Learn more →

PH bets also snatch gold, silver in women’s triathlon

first_imgLATEST STORIES LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games She clocked 2:11:14, while Adorna, the 2015 champion, finished in 2:18:58. Adorna is reportedly nursing a injury but her time was enough to beat out Irene Chong of Malaysia who timed 2:25:44.It was the third gold by the Philippines so far in the biennial meet and one bolstered the dominating performance by its triathletes who ruled both the men’s and women’s categories.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout View comments PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games PLAY LIST 03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:50Trending Articles01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/SEA GAMES POOLKUALA LUMPUR — Marion Kim Mangrobang snatched the Philippines’ third gold medal after winning women’s triathlon in a powerful 1-2 finish with former champ Ma. Claire Adorna Monday in the Southeast Asian Games.Trained in Portugal, the 25-year-old Mangrobang won the event after placing second to Adorna during the 2015 SEAG in Singapore in a similar 1-2 fashion.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program MOST READ WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Philippines claims gold, silver in men’s triathlon Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMClast_img read more

Learn more →

17 days agoBarcelona attacker Lionel Messi: I thought Neymar would join Real Madrid

first_imgBarcelona attacker Lionel Messi: I thought Neymar would join Real Madridby Carlos Volcano17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona attacker Lionel Messi admits he thought Neymar would join Real Madrid this summer.The Brazilian forward made no secret of his desire to leave Paris Saint-Germain and both of Spain’s big two clubs were linked with him.”I really thought Neymar would go to Real Madrid if he didn’t come here,” Messi said in an interview with RAC1.”He really wanted to leave Paris and he’d shown it.”And I thought that Florentino [Perez] and Real Madrid were going to do something to sign him.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img

Learn more →

NATO hires Canadian as special representative on women peace on security

first_imgHALIFAX – The secretary general of NATO has chosen a Canadian to handle the alliance’s agenda on the role of women in conflict.Jens Stoltenberg has appointed Clare Hutchinson as NATO’s special representative for women, peace and security.Stoltenberg told The Canadian Press that the appointment speaks to Canada’s efforts to bring a feminist perspective to peacekeeping.Canada pledged $21 million last week to help double the number of women sent on peacekeeping operations around the world.Stoltenberg says Hutchinson has worked as a gender advisor in the United Nations for ten years, and has spent time in Kosovo and Lebanon.last_img

Learn more →

More on Joey Vottos Swinging Habits

Responding to my piece earlier on Friday about the Cincinnati Reds’ Joey Votto and his approach to at-bats with runners in scoring position, reader Keith Anderson asked:How does his [swing] percentage compare to when there isn’t anyone in [scoring] position? Is there a noticeable/meaningful difference? I just wonder if people are picking at how his play changes or just how he plays.Funny you ask, Keith! Before deciding to focus specifically on whether Votto swings at pitches in the strike zone with runners in scoring position, I collected a bunch of other data covering different scenarios.Let’s look at this year first. Here are Votto’s 2014 numbers in RISP situations versus bases empty.Votto with RISP, 2014121 pitches47.1 percent strike rate (strikes + balls in play/pitches)29.8 percent swing rate24.7 percent called strike rate8.7 percent chase rate (swings at pitches out of the strike zone)57.9 percent fastballs57.7 percent swings on pitches in strike zoneVotto with bases empty, 2014437 pitches58.8 percent strike rate40.5 percent swing rate30.8 percent called strike rate17.4 percent chase rate59.3 percent fastballs64.8 percent swings on pitches in strike zoneSo Votto is swinging a lot more often this year in bases-empty situations than he is with runners in scoring position. Not coincidentally, he’s getting a lot more strikes to swing at with nobody on. Interestingly, he’s also doing something very un-Votto like: chasing pitches out of the zone, in this case twice as often with the bases empty as with runners in scoring position. Of course it’s only May 9, so we’re dealing with relatively small sample sizes.Now let’s take a look at how often Votto has swung at strikes with the bases empty over time.Votto swing percentage on pitches in strike zone with bases empty, 2009-20142009 73.32010 69.42011 66.82012 59.72013 64.32014 64.8Votto swing percentage on pitches in strike zone with RISP, 2009-20142009 78.22010 76.22011 69.82012 62.42013 69.22014 57.7The same trend governing Votto’s swing rate with runners in scoring position can be seen with the bases empty. He’s far less aggressive today than he was in 2009, and somewhat less aggressive than he was during his 2010 MVP season. After that, things level out, assuming we discount (or simply ignore) 2012, when a knee injury messed with his entire stat line. Also note that the small-sample-size issues that make Votto’s swing percentage on pitches in the strike zone with runners in scoring position has not carried over to the same stat with the bases empty; 2011, 2013 and 2014 look nearly identical with the bases empty.One other thing. If we assume that the 57.7 percent figure for runners in scoring position this year is a small-sample-size fluke that will even out shortly, then we’re left with a clear and healthy trend: The better the RBI opportunity, the more Joey Votto swings at pitches in the strike zone. read more

Learn more →