February 15, 2004 Britt Dys Assistant Editor Regular News Court asks Bar to take a look at internship rules Court asks Bar to take a look at internship rules Assistant EditorA bungled attempt to extort an airline out of millions. Drug convictions resulting in the loss of civil liberties. Identity theft. All were crimes committed by law students seeking Supreme Court certified internships.“Law students are having more and more interaction. . . with law enforcement than I think you would believe,” Supreme Court Justice R. Fred Lewis told the Board of Governors at its Tallahassee meeting in January. “I think it would shock you.”Justice Lewis asked the Board of Governors to address the “problems” with Chapter 11 of the Rules Regulating The Florida Bar, which covers law students participating in internships and handling cases under a lawyer’s supervision for state attorneys, public defenders, and legal aid agencies.Justice Lewis said law students are perceiving the certified internship program not as a privilege which allows them to represent citizens before they are admitted to the Bar, “but as an entitlement.”“It is a wonderful process if it’s not abused, but our experience is it is being abused,” Lewis said.One possible solution, Lewis said, might require prospective interns to register early in their law school experience for the necessary background check that the Florida Board of Bar Examiners must otherwise conduct on any student seeking admission to the Bar following graduation. The fee for that investigation is $75. a student then would have to be cleared before practicing as a certified legal intern. Lewis said the Board of Bar Examiners’ capacity to conduct the investigations into whether students are fit to enter the certified internship program would be more expansive than anything the court can do now.Court rules allow for law students to gain experience as attorneys under the supervision of various state offices and nonprofit organizations throughout Florida, and Lewis noted internships can serve as an educational tool that is advantageous to both students and the courts. Students are eased into the transition of becoming lawyers, while lending their ability to the courts in the process, he said.However, tarnished records of some law students are not the only cause for concern when dealing with the Chapter 11 rule, according to Lewis.In one case, a law school wanted student interns to work for a private Miami lawyer who handled conflict cases from the public defender’s office.“They selected an individual who had been disciplined by The Florida Bar for shaking down clients in a similar circumstance before. . . and we were going to be placing our students under that kind of supervision?” Justice Lewis asked.Justice Lewis said other abuses included the inconsistent or absence of university policies handling the certified internship issue and the lack of court funding and resources for performing background checks. Moreover, if a challenge is made regarding the court’s decision, there is no resolution process, “so there are problems that we need to address if this is to be a viable and quality program, which it can very easily [become] —with some small tweaking in the right places,” Justice Lewis said.Lewis asked the Bar to “help craft a rule that is workable, that benefits students, that continues to protect the legal aid societies, the state attorneys, and public defenders’ offices.”Bar President Miles McGrane set up the Special Board Committee to Study the Law School Practice Program. Board member Robert Rush will chair the panel, and other members include Young Lawyers Division President Mark Romance, and board members Mayanne Downs, Peter Brandt, and Don Horn.
German Klopp gets BayernNyon, Switzerland | AFP | Liverpool will take on fellow five-time winners Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League, while Jose Mourinho’s struggling Manchester United face French giants Paris Saint-Germain.Holders Real Madrid were paired with Ajax in Monday’s draw in Nyon as the Spaniards attempt to lift the trophy for the fifth time in six seasons, while Lionel Messi and Barcelona will play Lyon.Both Liverpool and Bayern have a rich tradition in the competition, with Jurgen Klopp returning to his homeland to face the side that beat his Borussia Dortmund team in the 2013 final.Liverpool, defeated finalists last season, are the current form side of the two and sit top of the Premier League while Bayern have been far short of their own high standards in the Bundesliga this term.“That’s the team of the hour, the league leaders in England, they are playing really good football, very physical, really stepping it up. We are looking forward to it,” Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said of the tie with Liverpool.“A tough cookie, but that’s something to look forward to as a player.”Klopp said: “It will be a tough one, an interesting one, and I am looking forward to it.”– Ronaldo awaits –Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City take on German side Schalke 04 while Atletico Madrid, runners-up in 2014 and 2016, come up against Cristiano Ronaldo and Italian heavyweights Juventus.“A very difficult match, with few goals,” Juve vice-president Pavel Nedved predicted.“No doubt Cristiano is the man of the Champions League, he has always shown that, with goals and victories. Our team is very strong and we can be calm and confident.”Bundesliga leaders Dortmund will meet Tottenham Hotspur for the second season in a row, having faced each other in last year’s group stage, while Roma meet two-time former champions Porto.“We’ve already met them (Tottenham) twice. A strong opponent, the chances are at 50-50. The team has top players. We are also strong, it will be interesting,” Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke told Sky.United, at a low ebb after Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Liverpool, meet PSG for the first time and a formidable task awaits against a side featuring Neymar and Kylian Mbappe — the world’s two most expensive players.“It’s always difficult to play Manchester United,” said PSG boss Thomas Tuchel. “They have lots of experience in this competition, they’ve won it numerous times. It’s always difficult to play at Old Trafford, it’s always a big challenge.“It’s the same thing against Mourinho. He has lots of experience in this competition and you must have respect,” he added.The Red Devils have only managed one win in four fixtures in December but the club’s former player Dennis Irwin says there’s plenty of time to improve ahead of facing the French champions.“There’s two months to go, hopefully we can pick up some form before that,” he told broadcaster BT Sport“The last month or so has been sticky for us. We have to concentrate on the Premier League now and the FA Cup in January,” he added.– ‘Winter break’ boost –Manchester City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain warned the English champions will not have it easy against a Schalke outfit languishing in 13th place in Germany following a nightmare start.“Teams that have been struggling in their leagues have still they’ve done very well in the Champions League,” said Begiristain.“Schalke will be difficult. After a winter break, German clubs are always very dangerous.”Lyon coach Bruno Genesio says his team can draw on their group-stage displays against City — a 2-1 away win and 2-2 home draw — ahead of their clash with five-time European champions Barca.“We’ll need to pull off two big performances, in the first leg and in the return, but we can do it. We did it against City,” said Genesio.“It’s tough. They are a team that Lyon has already played against but never beaten. Barca are more experienced and stronger but over two matches anything is possible,” Gerard Houllier, who holds an advisory role at the French club, told RMC Sport.“The first match is key and we are playing at home. Barca are potential champions. We have nothing to lose. Everything is a bonus for Lyon.”Teams that finished in second place in the group stage will host the first legs on February 12/13 and 19/20 with the return matches scheduled for March 5/6 and 12/13Share on: WhatsApp
In this May 10, 2011, file photo, Dick Parsons, chairman of Citigroup, participates in a discussion at the Hooven Dayton Corp. facility in Dayton, in Dayton, Ohio. (AP Photo/Al Behrman, File)BRIAN MAHONEYAP Basketball WriterNEW YORK (AP) – The NBA has chosen Dick Parsons, a former Citigroup chairman and former Time Warner chairman and CEO, as interim CEO of the Los Angeles Clippers.Parsons will oversee the franchise while the league tries to force owner Donald Sterling to sell it following his lifetime ban for making racist remarks.NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said Friday in a statement that Parsons “will bring extraordinary leadership and immediate stability to the Clippers organization.”“Dick’s credentials as a proven chief executive speak for themselves and I am extremely grateful he accepted this responsibility,” Silver added.With Sterling banned from anything to do with the team or league, and team President Andy Roeser on an indefinite leave of absence, the league and Clippers worked together to find someone to lead the organization along with coach Doc Rivers.“Like most Americans, I have been deeply troubled by the pain the Clippers’ team, fans and partners have endured,” Parsons said. “A lifelong fan of the NBA, I am firmly committed to the values and principles it is defending, and I completely support Adam’s leadership in navigating the challenges facing the team and the league.”Parsons is currently a senior advisor at Providence Equity Partners and sits on the board of directors for the Commission on Presidential Debates. He has also been on President Barack Obama’s economic advisory team.A graduate of the University of Hawaii, Parsons earned a law degree from Albany Law School in 1971 and became a staff lawyer for New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller. He moved to Washington when Rockefeller was appointed vice president, and also worked closely with President Gerald Ford.Parsons left the legal field in 1988 to become president, then chairman and CEO of Dime Bancorp, Inc. He was Time Warner chairman and CEO from 2002-08, then chairman of Citigroup from 2009-12.He will represent the franchise in owners meetings while the league tries to work out the team’s ownership situation.A three-fourths vote of owners is required to force Sterling to sell the team he has owned since 1981. His estranged wife, Shelly, wants to keep her 50 percent ownership stake in the team, her lawyer said Thursday, and Silver said so far the ban only applies to Donald Sterling.While that potential fight goes on, the Clippers are trying to stay focused on the playoffs following their most successful regular season ever. They are tied with the Oklahoma City Thunder entering Game 3 of their Western Conference semifinal series.“The Clippers are a resilient organization with a brilliant coach and equally talented and dedicated athletes and staff who have demonstrated great strength of character during a time of adversity,” Parsons said. “I am honored to be asked to work with them, build on their values and accomplishments, and help them open a new, inspiring era for their team.”
BOB BAFFERT, DORTMUND, WINNER, AND LORD NELSON, FOURTH: “Coming into this race he was doing much better than he was last time. He’s starting to fill out, getting stronger. As long as he stays healthy, the farther they go, he’s just getting cranked up there at the end, so that was pretty exciting.”Did he expect Dortmund to be on the lead? “Martin (Garcia) is on his own. All riders are on their own and they just rode their race. The thing about Martin, he knows all these horses, so if I have to give him instructions, then I’m in trouble. He knows the horse really well. The worse thing you can do is take him back and get him behind a wall of horses. He was doing it pretty easily. He’ll stay here (for the Santa Anita Derby, $1 million, Grade I, 1 1/8 miles on April 4).”CLIFFORD SISE, PROSPECT PARK, SECOND: “He ran very well, yeah. We were OK with the trip. I think the next step is the Santa Anita Derby.” -30- MARTIN GARCIA, DORTMUND, WINNER: “It looks easy because he’s such a good horse and when you have a horse that’s good, he makes it look easy.“I’m always confident because I know how good he is.“I don’t think there will be any difference for him when we add more distance; he can go any distance. It won’t be a problem for him.” VICTOR ESPINOZA, BOLO, THIRD: “He ran an amazing race today. To be able to switch to the main track for the first time like he did, he ran fantastic. I know we lost some ground, but I liked where we were. I didn’t want to get a bunch of dirt in his face and I didn’t want to get him back in behind horses. Dortmund is a great horse, no doubt about it. Just for a moment there at the top of the stretch, I thought we could beat him, but he’s too tough.”TRAINER QUOTES NOTES: Winning owner Kaleem Shah is from San Diego. JOCKEY QUOTES KENT DESORMEAUX, PROSPECT PARK, SECOND: “I had a full ride. I had to throw on the air brakes in the first turn to get him covered. He galloped and cantered to the quarter-pole. I had to thread a needle there where he shied a bit. He was made for this. He did a great job. They got the battle, we’ll win the war.”
DHARAMSALA, India (CMC):An upbeat West Indies Women take on one of the tournament favourites, England Women, here today, cognisant of the fact a victory will secure them a berth in the final four of the Women’s Twenty20 World Cup.The Caribbean side sits top of Group B with four points following wins over Pakistan Women and Bangladesh Women, but will know their English opponents provide their sternest test yet, in the fixture set for the picturesque HPCA Stadium at 7:30 p.m. (10 a.m. Eastern Caribbean time).Head coach Vasbert Drakes said they were aware of the importance of the game and were motivated, especially coming off back-to-back wins.”I think it is important that we play some good cricket tomorrow. Obviously the points would give us that momentum going into the semi-finals,” the former West Indies all-rounder said yesterday.”We’ve won the first two games and the ladies are feeling quite confident in their ability to execute our game plan come tomorrow against England.”He added: “Obviously, you want to see the energy from ball one, you want to see us getting involved in the game and trying to control the game early on and trying to create some pressure and keep that pressure for a long period of time.”We believe, with our team, we’ve seen a balance within in the last two games. Everyone is feeling quite confident that on their given day, if they can execute, they can get the upper hand on England.”West Indies Women opened the tournament with victory over Pakistan Women when they superbly defended a paltry total of 103.They were sharper in their outing against Bangladesh Women last Sunday, posting a competitive 148 and then restricting their opponents to a mere 99.KEEPING RUNS LOWIn both games, Windies Women managed to restrict their opposition to under 100 runs, courtesy of the off-spin trio of Matthews, Taylor and front line bowler Anisa Mohammed.Drakes said he did not foresee any major changes in this approach, especially with the pitch at the HPCA Stadium looking conducive to slow bowling.”We, as a unit, have always talked about everyone making a contribution to the team cause and the two games that we have played, you can see that the spinners have really come into the equation on the wickets in India and bowled with some subtle variations that would have created the pressure on the Bangladeshis and certainly on the Pakistanis,” Drakes explained.
The Golden State Warriors play on Halloween, and to mark the occasion some of the players and their families dressed up.Klay Thompson showed out coming dressed as Jackie Moon from the comedy “Semi-Pro.” The Warriors shooting guard even brought along his own basketball. Unfortunately, it’s doubtful that he’d play in a Flint Tropics uniform. Alfonzo McKinnie came as the merc with the mouth aka Deadpool. We’re unsure if he needed the padded muscles. He is a professional basketball player after …
James stressed that comprehensive exploration, planning and analysis, as well as black economic empowerment structuring and community interaction had enabled the company to reach the current stage. London and Johannesburg listed Central Rand Gold has received a new order mining right from the Department of Minerals and Energy, enabling the company to transform from an explorer to an active miner. “Receiving our mining right is a major step forward in our overall strategy as we can now focus on implementing the mining plans that will see us becoming a gold producer during 2009,” Central Rand Gold CEO Greg James said in a statement last month. The company will commence trial mining at its Consolidated Main Reef, Langlaagte and Crown Mine tenements in the Central Rand Goldfield, situated to the south of the Johannesburg inner city. SAinfo reporter This is also the first mining right in a series of new order mining rights that the company is seeking to apply for. Central Rand Gold last month received a trial processing plant in Johannesburg, which it has since been commissioned for use. Trial mining has since commenced and full-scale surface mining is scheduled to start in the first quarter of 2009. 9 October 2008 The new order mining right entitles Central Rand Gold to perform mining activities on the three tenements to a depth of 900 metres below surface. This application covers approximately 33.67 million tons of the company’s current resource base, and is expected to yield around 4.2 million ounces of gold over a seven year period. “We are grateful to the Department of Minerals and Energy for their professional handling of our application and related submissions,” James said, adding that Central Rand Gold’s immediate goal was to produce gold at an annualised rate of 100 000 ounces by the end of 2009. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material