MMA fighter Conor McGregor fined €1,000 over Dublin pub assault

first_imgShare on Facebook Share on Messenger news Europe Topics Since you’re here… Share on LinkedIn MMA … we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many new organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Support The Guardian Conor McGregor The Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor has been fined €1,000 (£850) for assaulting a man in a Dublin pub who rejected his offer of a drink.A Dublin court convicted McGregor, 31, on Friday of assaulting Desmond Keogh at the Marble Arch pub on 6 April, an incident caught on CCTV.Judge Treasa Kelly decided against a custodial sentence, saying McGregor had pleaded guilty, expressed remorse and compensated the victim.In the CCTV footage McGregor offered customers shots of his whiskey, Proper No. Twelve. Keogh, seated at the bar, refused the glass. McGregor then punched him before being hustled out by companions.After the celebrity news website TMZ.com ran the footage staff at an Irish bar in Florida filmed themselves pouring the brand, which McGregor launched last year, down the toilet.In a separate case last year McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters. He pleaded guilty to a reduced disorderly conduct charge in that case.McGregor announced his retirement from the octagon in March. Last month he announced a comeback, saying he will fight an undisclosed UFC opponent in Las Vegas in January. Share on Twitter US sports Share via Email Share on WhatsApp Ireland Share on Pinterest Reuse this contentlast_img read more

Learn more →

AprilJune smartphone shipments slip marginally to 33 million units

first_imgNew Delhi: Smartphone shipment in India saw a marginal fall with 33 million units being shipped in the second quarter ended June, according to research firm Canalys.A total of 33.1 million units were shipped in the country in the second quarter of 2018, the data from Canalys showed. “Smartphone shipment slipped 0.5 per cent in India in Q2 2019 as feature phone users refrained from upgrading to smartphones,” it said. Chinese firm Xiaomi led the tally with 10.3 million or 31 per cent market share to mark eight straight quarters as market leader, followed by South Korean tech giant Samsung that saw a shipment of 7.3 million units (22 per cent share) in the quarter. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalVivo had 18 per cent share (5.8 million units), followed by Oppo with 9 per cent (3 million) and Realme at 8 per cent share (2.7 million), it added. “The decline in the market is not a cause of worry. However, the lack of growth is against the expectation of several major vendors. Feature phone users are not taking to smartphones as quickly as the industry had expected and the bulk of growth in the Indian smartphone market is now coming from users who are upgrading their devices to a USD 200 (about Rs 15,000) or even a USD 300 (about Rs 20,000) smartphone,” Canalys Research Director Rushabh Doshi said.last_img read more

Learn more →